July 1, 2010

Part 4….Knees, Elbows, Hands….Ugh!!

SONY DSC

Actually, the knees weren’t as hard as I thought they would be. They look like knees, not too sure if they look like the knees in the picture however. The elbows, what a breeze…..all ya gotta do is put some darker lead in the middle of the elbow and spread it out! Simple as that. If only….. If only, the rest of it were that easy. The hands, OMG, not even going (to try too hard) there. Cuz I think I’d be tearing the paper if I did. And this is some thick paper!

SONY DSC

Oh…before I forget….I want to thank each one of you that commented on my last post! You guys are so generous with your thoughts! I really appreciate it! The other thing I wanted to clarify is the comment made in my class, the person wasn’t being mean, she just didn’t realize how she was coming off. I know I do that sometimes. I only brought it up because I realize how much work goes into these types of drawings. I’m just scratching the surface here.

I have not done a good job making my friend’s face resemble her at all! I will be doing the usual dance of…..draw, erase, draw, erase, erase……in that area to make it look (at least) familiar. Possibly my face came easier to me, because I’m used to it. I can spot the flaws much faster. After some time away from this, I can see that I have to fix Karan’s left knee. Looks too droopy!

SONY DSC

I really like these graphite pencils, cuz I can give myself “quite the tan”……’Tis fun :D

7 comments:

Rebecca Anthony said...

Wow, I am so impressed. This drawing is looking SO good!! You are a true artist my friend(O:

lori vliegen said...

you are awesome, eden......and so is this drawing!!! thanks for the tip about the pencils....you know how i love me a 4B pencil....!! xox, :)))

Dawn said...

i'm sorry but these are AWESOME. i love it.

Marthann's Musings said...

I am just loving watching this piece emerge from the paper. What a beautiful piece it it. I so admire people who can draw people and animals. I do not do that well at all !!!

And whoever heard of such a thing that real artists don't draw from pictures. That is absurd.

And, don't doubt yourself, you are a REAL artist, just look at your work.

Kate Robertson said...

This is looking so fantastic. You should be proud.

Unknown said...

Yowzers, girlfri4end... You have been busy! I've had an awesome time looking around. Such coolness on display. I love those cards you print out - of your doodles - and this project with the graphite pencils is going really well.

I would say that you are an artist! (The lady that said that about not using photos is just wrong. WRONG. I have seen tons of bios of artists that show how they take lots of photos to use as their source.

Valerie told me that a boss she had (one of her first ones) saw her struggling as she was drawing a bicycle. She said, "What on earth are you wasting your time for like that? Look at a photo." (quote is approximate.)

I've thought a lot about that ever since she told me the story.

Serena Lewis said...

You ARE a real artist, Eden....and don't you forget it! A lot of well known and accomplished artists use photographs for reference. Not all artists have the opportunity to paint their subjects from life (e.g. lions, elephants, polar bears, wolves, grizzly bears, etc.) so have no other option but to rely on photographic references.

As for your drawing....it's looking FANTASTIC!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden