June 29, 2015
Two weeks ago something clicked for me. I wanted to sketch “on site”….”live”….”en plein air”. So, I have gotten reacquainted with my little Koi watercolor travel set.
I knew I had to start somewhere, and it had to be colorful. So I grabbed this crystal vase and put some colorful rocks in it and started to draw. In watercolor…..I need to be looser / freer in my drawing.
I’m trying to not bring out my pencil first….and start applying the watercolor directly onto the paper. I have a tendency to be too exact!! …. and it’s a bit irritating!!
Did this one on break at work….about 20 minutes.
This one took a little longer, size is bigger and more details.
These ladies didn’t even know I was there (at Starbucks)…..I’m not too self-conscious so I can blend into the background rather easy.
I am notorious for falling asleep while driving….but this kept me occupied for a bit. That road vibration doesn’t effect the watercolor application, but it does effect the .005 micro pen outlining at the end.
Another quick sketch done on the first day of vacation. These don’t require a lot of thought or time. 30-45 minutes to lay down foundation then if I’m enjoying the sketch I’ll add more detail for another 20 min or so.
I had no binoculars so I had to guess on some of the house and deck features of these homes across the bay.
I liked this kitchen cabinet….so I drew it. Perspective is all relative here!! Haha
Lots going on in this room.
About 10 minutes in, I wondered why I bothered attempting this….but I just kept going, cuz there was nothing else I wanted to draw and I’m learning to quiet that internal critic.
Back to my favorite subject…people. Goofed up the mouth on the far girl, then applied white out which made it only scarier. Need to learn, less is more.
Brought three Danny Gregory books with me. They will get you excited to try this type of art.
She said she’d pose for me! What a treat! Helps to see things better.
He kept changing positions on me.
Another perspective bust…but oh well!
Had to do something to keep the boredom at bay during our drive home….does not look like my husband but it does look like a man!!
And just for the fun of it….A selfie!! Again….doesn’t look like me but that’s not the point. The point is….I’ve...Got….To….Practice, wish me luck
May 22, 2015
Posted this picture back in January with my Yoga Girl One post.
Brought in color. I thought it would be cool to have a more batik looking outfit with a lot of color movement. Watercolors can pull this off rather easily
I thought I’d balance the red in her outfit with the opposite color….Green. But it did not turn out well. Much too dark.
I pulled up a lot of that green with a brush and water. A unique element of working in this medium.
I like the mat better here, a lighter shade of green.
I stalled on this project for about a month because it was hair time. I tend to do that a lot. But what I really need to remember….is to keep the crown of the head’s hair darker, by putting many more lines (strands) in.
Last thing to do before completion is this hand. It’s not watercolored yet, just showing the w/c pencil stippling now. Hopefully, I’ll be able to blend this better for a more realistic impression.
My kitchen table!! Soon to be cleared off…. close to completion…..
May 12, 2015
I’ve been drawing these Block Letters behind the scenes lately. And since I’m a curious sort, I thought it was time I displayed them here!
All these flowers were hand drawn….that was the boundary.
I liked the look of the D on the black fabric…..they complemented each other
The D is Done.
Then onto the E….
If you know sign language then hopefully you can recognize the letter the hand is making.
The boundary….was square background with paisley doodles.
Enough of the E.
Onto the R…..
Lots of Sharpies used here.
Fine line rainbows in this background.
Went into my fabric Stash and took a few pics. I liked this one….Tie-Dye Dots
This one was too loud….Bright Stripes.
I also liked this one…..Wavy Stripes.
How about you? Which letter appeals to you the most?
April 1, 2015
Not much time for art these days, so I did what I do when I’m time-challenged.
Grabbed my square watercolor paper and started stenciling on it. Then watercoloring via w/c pencils.
Something needed to be done with all that white space….looked like a good place to get some font practice in.
Pulled up some of my favorite Art Quotes to write in those areas.
Used some of my new Stabilo fine point markers for the floral areas.
Just coloring fun here,
Had to go back and re-apply the black outlines cuz the watercolor will overlay on the lines and dull….them….down.
- Everything that needs to be said has already been said but no one was listening, so it must be said again- Andre Gide
- Just get up and do your thing and speak- Lamar Harrington
- One eye sees the other eye feels- Paul Klee
- Treat a work of art like a prince, let it speak to you first- Arthur Schopenhauer
- Writing helps me wake up the rest of life- ?
- The moment you cheat for the sake of beauty, you know you are an artist- David Hockney
- “ART” x 9
- ► 2014 (30)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (126)
- ► 2011 (123)
- ► 2010 (134)
- ► 2009 (65)
- ► 2008 (29)
- By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden