August 29, 2019

Watercolor Portrait...daughter




In this age of social media and ALL the pictures being posted on various platforms.
When you follow your daughter and you see a picture you really like…and you want
a new challenge….Well, I’m sure you'd do exactly as I did.   Snatch it and draw it.



It always starts like this….get a light underdrawing in…then start with the watercolor washes.
Washes are so nice because they cover lots of area and they leave a type of variance to the
painting, making it more realistic and interesting.




Her eyes, I just love her Big, Blue eyes.






I kind of liked her as a blonde and was tempted to keep her this way!  Haha







That sweater…decided that I was not going to even attempt a realistic looking sweater.
I have patience, but not to that level.









I’m pretty happy with how this is coming here in this shot.









Had to back up and take all things into account.  Such as….HAIR…I do not like do hair in
watercolor…because you have to think in reverse.  








Mask the lighter areas, which would be the
blonde highlights and they flow over the darker hair.






Stalled on this part for a few months!  Waiting for the guts....Hair and  if I could do a background.




 So…as I kept looking at the picture..I tweaked it here and there…the eyes, the mouth, lots of things
of things.  Then I pulled it up in photoshop and overlayed the original over the painting.
I messed up early…just an eighth of an inch.  Too long from the right eye to the mouth. Ugh!
Now…I know…do the important dimensions much earlier in the process, before I start putting in
that darker pigment.

Decided on a background…a very unassuming one.













My beautiful daughter!  Hopefully next time I snatch a picture of her and decide to draw it.
I will have learned some important things from this first attempt at LARGE PORTRAIT paintings.
Ya gotta start somewhere!

5 comments:

sandra d said...

Beautiful daughter!
Thanks for sharing the process.

Anonymous said...

bookmarked!!, I like your site!

J C said...

This is really, really nice!!!

Amanda Q. said...

Bravo! Always appreciate your work. Have been following you for years. I check in every year or so. You inspire me every time! Thank you!

AmyP said...

Very nice!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden