September 17, 2010

Insert Inspiration Here

Visual Stimuli

Every now and then I need to Organize my Thoughts and my Finds and post what’s inspiring me lately. If I really get my act together I might just do this quarterly!! But that’s IF!!

DRAWING:

*image posted with permission

Andrea Joseph- If you haven’t spotted this lady yet, you will be in for a treat when you visit her blog or flickr site. She can do the most amazing drawings, with a pen. Yep, a pen!!! Your standard bic pen! Who’d have thought?

Andrea Joseph's Art Blog

Andrea Joseph Flickr illustrations

PAINTING:

*image posted with permission

Leah Giberson- Oh my goodness, I have been totally suckered into thinking her paintings are photographs. She does the most absolutely amazing still life’s. Usually they are of houses, cars, RV’s or even pools. Fascinating!!

Leah Giberson Etsy Shop

Leah Giberson Flickr Photostream

ABSTRACT COLOR:

Thaneeya McArdle- She uses every color known to man. She knows what she’s doing and has a wonderful way of making ordinary things look EXTRAordinary.

Thaneeya's Website

Thaneeya Flickr Photostream

INTERVIEWS:

I am naturally curious about other people. Especially people that I can learn something from. It’s nice to get a look at the personality behind the art. What and how the artists do their work and their inspirations. Because I think we are all influenced by each other. There is no new thing under the sun (with the exception of technology). I guess it’s just the way we use it or present it.

Stephanie Levy Artist Interviews

ZENTANGLES:

Caroline’s picture Indio

Where do I begin with all the zany zentanglers out there??? Oh My!! I think this is such a good way to practice, to steady our hand with our chosen tool (pen/ pencil or brush). It’s unbelievably relaxing and for me it s.l.o.w.s. my mind down! Which can be a very good thing, indeed. Just ask anyone that lives with me.

And for the more COLORFUL zentanglers out there……I bring you Bostinstuff.

Check out their photostreams for more amazing work by both Caroline and Sheila.

TYPOGRAPHY:

For all you ART JOURNALERS out there, who isn’t influenced by dynamic type fonts? I see what these ladies can do and I drool!! Really!!

Martha Lever

Besottment by paper relics

Tammy's Art Journaling post

Dawn Sokol's Art Journal pages

Lori at Elvie Studio

Aimee at Artsyville

BOOKS:

1- My Stroke of Insight- This book was recommended to me by a Local Art Instructor. It’s about a 37 yr old Harvard trained Neurosurgeon (brain scientist), who had a stroke in her LEFT HEMISPHERE. She talks about all the beauty and peace she felt during and after her stroke. During her stroke, she had to call 9-1-1 and once she recognized the 9 she punched it…..and kept punching it, because she had no sense of time (left hemisphere) and finally realized she had to cover up the 9 on the sheet of paper to move on. She gradually regained her full use of her left-analytical hemisphere. She now could chose to let go of negative judgments or memories (left hemisphere) that she didn’t want to have a hold on her anymore. Worth every minute to read this book. Especially if you’re curious about how our hemispheres interact. Loved it!!

2- The War of Art- I heard about this book thru Mandy at Messy Canvas. There is so much good stuff in this book and I recommend taking your time to read it. Read a chapter at a time. No need to read it all in one sitting. If you take your time, you can let the ideas simmer for awhile. Very thought provoking.

Quote from this book: I believe in Angels. They work for God- it’s their job to help us. Wake us up. Bump us along. They shout “Evolve! Evolve!”……Angels are like muses. They know stuff we don’t. They want to help us. They’re on the other side of a pane of glass shouting to get our attention. But we can’t hear them. We’re too distracted by our own nonsense. Ahhh, but when we begin. When we make a start…..When we commit & face our fears------ A crack appears in the membrane.”

QUOTES:

image

Raise your hand if you’re inspired by Quotes? Actually, it would probably be easier to count the hands of people who aren’t!

It’s not that some people have willpower and some don’t. It’s that some people are ready to change and others are not. -James Gordon

Maybe being brave is no more than staring down the “less than” feeling and stepping up to the “I am worthy” feeling. -Terri St. Cloud

Tension is who you think you should be, Relaxation is who you are. -Chinese Proverb

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma- which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is seconday. -Steve Job

YOUTUBE:

And last I want to leave you with this youtube video from John Cleese on Creativity. It’s about 10 minutes long, but he talks about some very do-able principles. Lots of insight and funny too!

Thanks for staying with me to the end here. I am a bit humbled to say the least. But at the same time these people excite me. To think that someone can actually draw like that, paint like that, or write like that. Wow! Hope you found something that inspired you as well.

Digital Credits:

  • Picture frame for VISUAL STIMULI courtesy of Scrapgirls Freebie.
  • Label Maker used for names on the above pictures, purchased from Scrapgirls Here.

17 comments:

Jeanne Nelson said...

WOW, so much inspiration here! The realism expressed through Leah's art is amazing; I, too, had difficulty determining what was the photograph and what was the painting ~~ stunning work, and I love the Airstreams! Zentangles, ahhh, I'm loving them, and appreciate your sharing some very inspiring tangle artists here! I could spend all day being inspired by all the links you've provided, as well as your art here on your blog. Thanks, Eden! Hugs!

2smart said...

What a well-worthwhile post! and that's not because you put one of my bits in! I have loved going on the trip with you. Thanks for a welcome bit of inspiration. Sheila

iHanna said...

Haha, when you do strike you strike hard girl. I love the visuals and the name tags you created for this! Thanks, I'm inspired too. Will now check some of these out for sure.

Unknown said...

This is WONDERFUL- thank you!

Leah Giberson said...

Thanks so much for including my work here! Love this list of inspiration. Just what I needed this morning.

lori vliegen said...

fabulous list, dear friend.....thank you for sharing this!!! you've found some great spots in blogland (we share the same admiration for andrea's drawings....i've been following her for a long time!!), and i truly enjoyed watching john cleese.....very enlightening!!! i'm honored and humbled to be included amongst your typography faves.....thanks SO much for the linky love!! happy weekend to you!!! xox, :))

Lisa Kay said...

I read My Stroke of Insight last year and it is a wonderfully inspiring read. It is amazing what your brain can go through and still return to normal, if that's what it is now!

Lisa L. Kay
www.modernartquilter.com

Rebecca Anthony said...

Wow, there is so much here and so many different things. All are incredible!! Thanks for pointing out such amazing things to keep our creative juices flowing!

Elena said...

OMG! Where have I been lately?! I almost missed all this stimulating eye candy going on here on your blog. I'm trying to catch up but fabulous drawings and blog header and creativity...

artymess said...

Hi Eden thanks for lovely comments on my blog ....enjoyed this post loved the biro shoes will look out for this artist....inspiring .....you asked what I did with my postcards and ATC cards .....well i just swap them with other artists....I am a colour and swappingholic...x

Dawn said...

oh man!!! such awesome stuff here. Stuff I already know and love...Andrea Joseph...my god i love her stuff...and lots of new things. YAY. You rock :)

rachel awes said...

i'm in love w/that notepad quote.
inspiring!
great pile, eden! xo

chrissy said...

i just spent a boatload of time on all these wonderful links...sheez louise.
thank you.
c

aimee said...

wow!! awesome roundup - this will keep me busy for a while! and thank you for the mention!

Liberty said...

I got so much out of this post - thank you! :-)

Serena Lewis said...

Thanks for all the fabulous links, Eden! Great stuff!

Mandy said...

Beautiful post. Isn't War of Art amazing. It's all about the resistance, and pushing through it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden