September 13, 2010

Bench Monday…..in a drawing

Had to hurry to complete this drawing so that I could post it on Monday, which fits the Bench Monday theme that so many photographers/bloggers participate in. I’ve never done it, but it sure is inspiring to see all the pictures others post on Flickr or different blogs.

There was a lot of shadows on the original picture, so I had to improvise some of the calf and kneecap positions on the drawing. I just tried to make it look real.

Using my Creative License I decided that this girl really needed a skirt. This picture on flickr was the inspiration for the skirt. I either needed to draw in a skirt, or continue drawing more leg since I had a lot more space to fill…..the skirt won, since it would be a make-believe leg above the knee anyway.

See what I mean??

This was a good drawing to use those wonderful Watercolor Pencils. With all the texture in the sand, the waves in the water and the clouds in the sky, I thought this would be a good time to put some watercolor pencil practice in. Didn’t try to duplicate exactly, just made it recognizable. I used my favorite Faber-Castell Pitt XS pen to outline the figure. I thought that may help keep the watercolors in their place. It worked.

This picture is not the best quality, it’s looks a little pixilated at the sketching portion. Ah well.

This was a lot of fun to draw! I love to do a bit of sketching then add another art media (markers or watercolor) to the drawing. Someday, I may do an ENTIRE drawing as graphite sketch…..but….don’t hold your breathe, it may be awhile.

12 comments:

rachel awes said...

oooooh eden! i love this!
such a great pose & background!
(i just bought watercolor pencils
& have never used them!! i plan to
try them out at a retreat later in
october!....they look so delicious
& you use them so beautifully!).
lots of love!! xox

Jeanne Nelson said...

Beautiful, Eden! Your shading is amazing, and I love the skirt that you added. Happy Day!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

I love it. The changes and new balance your drawing have compared to the photo are wonderful. I really admire your technique with drawing/shading and watercolors.

Liberty said...

wow Eden!
I am so in awe of your skills! (and envious but not in a mean way :)
this is awesome.

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Eden, I'd like to contact you by email but don't see a "contact me" button. How can I get in touch?

immacola said...

wow, my legs become famous :)(jagodowenoce is my flickr account)
thank you :)

Dawn said...

oh so wonderful, AGAIN. I don't think you should ever stop adding color!

Rebecca Anthony said...

You amaze me with all your different takes on Facing Forward. I love this piece!! Your combo of the sketch and the skirt is outstanding!

lori vliegen said...

you are a graphite rock star, gal!! love the pose, love the knees, love the skirt, love the watercolors!! it's awesome from start to finish!! xox, :))))

Dawn said...

ok, so i had to go back and study your post again. Your shading is just outstanding! And the position of the legs, and the heel bein up in the air. Oh my! I am in awe.

Dawn said...

and the tree!!! it looks SO realistic.teach me, o wise one :)

lee said...

love it, and thanks for showing some of the process

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden