June 5, 2010

Hippie, Hipster….Beatnik

HippieChick

Amy- the Ageless Hippie……She was at Woodstock in 1969, can’t remember much but thought she had a good time. She loves the clothes from this era. The bright bold colors, the wonderful tie-dye uniqueness. She’s pleased to announce that with some effort she can still fit into those same clothes.

Poor Amy, she didn’t get the memo about fashion; that if she wore it the first time around she shouldn’t wear it the second time! Ahhhh, but who can blame her for liking all these fun designs, colors and whimsical accessories? It’s her own business if she’s comfortable or not. She’s not indecent, is she? But personally, I couldn’t imagine holding onto any items of clothing for that long, unless it’s a Wedding dress or Mink stole. I’m a bit sentimental that way. The smell alone would do me in!

This was so fun to draw! Went to my Flickr favorites once again and used this image and this one for the VW van. My Dad had two VW vans growing up, I had no idea it was such a symbol of this counter-culture. But then again, they were in a rather boring paint scheme.

HippieChick_purse

Brought out my handy-dandy watercolor pencils for the tie-dyed purse. Haven’t a clue how to do it with markers.

Here are a few quotes to close with:

Know, first, who you are; and then adorn yourself accordingly. -Epictetus

Be in the habit of experimenting with your clothing so that you don’t get stuck for life with a self-image developed over the course of High School. -Marilyn Vos Savant

I base most of my fashion sense on what doesn’t itch. -Gilda Radner

Have a good weekend!

9 comments:

Whitney said...

Actually, Ms. Eden, your dad had 3 VW vans.... the torquoise one in Houston, then the beige one and finally the orange lemon.... which blew up in flames half a block from our house.

Tie Dyed Shop said...

Really nice pictures in this post.

Murphy's Mom said...

Ohhh! I am so glad I found you! Love love love your words and your drawings. You are inspiring me to doodle more!!!
Keep it up! I'll keep tuning in.
Thanks!
Gertibird (Flikr)

Liberty said...

what fun!
I saw the first image and thought, "OH! I love that purse so much!"
and then scrolled down a bit and lo and behold, there was a lovely close up of it!

I loved quote #3 - that's me!
If it's comfy, I like it. Style often gets sacrificed for this in my world!

Lucifer said...

Hippies drive huge 1978 model Range Rovers with leaves stuck to the hood with sap. Smoke bellows out of their hippie-mobile as they drive off to the hippie market and to visit their Trotskyist friends.

Marthann's Musings said...

I love this one. I could of been a hippie, at least I am of the age that attended Woodstock. Love you whimsical birdies. Keep it up girlfriend.

Janet said...

Amy is adorable! I especially love her lavender flared pants. Where can I get me a pair??

lee said...

oh my past is coming to haunt me, I love this picture the colours everything , very fun

aimee said...

looooove it! and oh that VW bus! my grandparents had a bright orange one and i was so sad the day it went kaput!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden