May 30, 2010

Kokopelli Dancers

KokopelliDance1

Used a couple stencils here and had some fun coloring them in. These are the Kokopelli Dancers, don’t you just want to hear their music? To start dancing along with them? I’ve done a little research about these guys, and found various stories. Some about fertility, others about agriculture and a belief that he’s thought to represent the season change from winter to spring. So, we can take our pick on what we want to believe. The following definition was found HERE.

Who Was Kokopelli?

Known as a fertility god, prankster, healer and story teller, Kokopelli has been a source of wonder throughout the country for centuries. Kokopelli embodies the true American Southwest, and dates back over 3,000 years ago, when the first petroglyphs were carved. Although his true origins are unknown, this traveling, flute-playing Casanova is a sacred figure to many Southwestern Native Americans. Carvings of this hunch-backed flute-playing figure have been found painted and carved into rock walls and boulders throughout the Southwest.

image

To journal or not to journal? That is the question. I tend to struggle with this question when I’m drawing for the fun of it. Should I journal something in all that white space, or let it be? Well, the journaling won out on this one. I like it when a piece says something to me then, I get to write out my thoughts, otherwise it’s a no-go.

image

Journaling:

Kokopelli Dancers- I think of these guys as Life! As Spirit! They come dancing in and dare me to get up and dance, to express myself! I used to be like the Black & White one with a bit of Attitude (the RED). But lately I’m embracing the more colorful sides of my personality. I’m realizing just how opinionated I am. After all, I think people are much more interesting when they can express themselves freely. Not in a whiney or mean way. Just being real, this sure gets the dialogue started. Don’t you think?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wanna get up and dance and sing.so much fun. you are my playmate today!

Marthann's Musings said...

I love this. So bright and wonderfully creative. I used to have my 3rd grade art students do these.
Great job.

Janet said...

Love the dancers and I agree with what you said. I'm glad you decided to journal on this one.

Serena Lewis said...

I LOVE Southwest designs and the culture behind them. Wonderful page, Eden!

Sophie_vf said...

gorgeous, reminds me of a trip I took many years ago to Santa Fe. I agree - they're full of life and spirit. Great doodle and thanks for adding the background information!

Yasmina said...

They are fantastic! full of life and joy.
and hey, I loved finding out the about them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden