January 6, 2013

Marker Review…..2nd Edition

Rev1

I did my first Marker Review in July of 2010.  Wow!  Over two years ago.  People are very curious about the markers I use.  Here’s the current run down.
  1. Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pen: many different colors, permanent, different nibs.  I always buy the B (brush) nib.
  2. Bic Mark-It Ultra-fine point: inexpensive, good variety of colors, permanent.
  3. Sharpie Ultra-fine point: inexpensive, good color variety, permanent.
  4. Sharpie Poster Paints: I only use the water soluble.  Different sizes.  Limited color selection
  5. Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pen:  Black comes in XS, S, F, M ,B nibs, permanent. 
  6. ProMarker & Copic multi-liner .05 grey: I’ll use the grey for outlining graphite sketches.
  7. Sakura Pigma Micron: many colors, many nibs, permanent.
  8. Gelly Rolls: Lots of color, permanent….long dry time.
  9. Sharpie Fine Point: inexpensive, broad nib 
  10. Marvy LePlume: variety of colors, each end is a pen (brush or fine point) water soluble.
  11. Bic Mark-Its Fine Point: inexpensive, broad nib

Rev2
#1- love these….but sometimes they don’t apply as evenly as my ultra-fine sharpies. It’s always a trade-off 
Open-mouthed smile

Rev3

My top 3 marker types.  The funny thing is ya gotta use all of them….cuz if I’m doing a gradient green series, each green from each label will vary a bit in color.  The variety comes in handy.

Rev4

99.9% of my outlining is done with these. The Faber-Castell blacks many nibs. I use the XS most. 

Rev5

These are absolutely perfect for color application on top of the markers.  I use my white one the most.

Rev7

These three are much neglected and ignored.  I rarely grab any of these.  I don’t like the thicker nib and the LePlume’s are water soluble….they run.

Rev9

Make sure you grab the “ultra-fine”.  Can’t beat the price.  Places like Staples will sell these individually.

Rev8

I rarely use these gelly rolls.  They take awhile to dry and when I’m working on the go, I can’t let them air dry as long as I’d like.  I also have a tendency to rub my writing hand into the already applied ink.  Not pretty.

Rev6

If…I’m needing skin-tone I really like these.  Less expensive than the Copic series and they apply very even.
Well, I hope this helps and it’s not too confusing,  You’ve got to experiment and see what works for you and your project.  We are such creatures of habit.  But it’s so nice to learn about and get new stuff.  Happy doodling Open-mouthed smile!

12 comments:

Susan said...

Great post! And who would think a review on markers would be so pretty to look at? This was thoughtfully done and beautiful. Thanks!

Danielle said...

This is a great informative post. I just recently picked up the Bic Markers because Office Max had them 5 for $3...and i love them...I got the fine point this time and plan on picking up some extra fines next time I go. Really great post.

Eden said...

@Susan @Danielle- thanks for your thoughtful comments. Markers are not all created equal. There's alot of differences and you have to put it in your hand and see what works and what doesn't for your projects. It's always nice to hear referrals :D

jinxxxygirl said...

I just love reviews! In the end they can really help save me $$

I have yet to find any Sharpie poster paint markers that are not oilbased! aaarrggghh.....

I'm a fan of the black Pitt pens. They write over anything....I've ruined several Sakura but the Pitt pens can handle it. I haven't tried the different colors of Pitt pens though... i will have to look for them....Thanks so much for sharing. You sure do make those pens do beautiful things! Hugs! deb

Janet said...

Thanks for doing this review of markers. I like markers, too. I have some of the same ones you have but I haven't tried the ProMarkers. Guess they're on my list now.

Anonymous said...

All those lovely markers. They were a sight to behold. I love markers. Thanks for the run down.

My Marvys didn't hold up too well.

Leah said...

thank you sooo much!!!! I am new at using pens and can't find to seem the best ones.. :)

Eden said...

@Deb- try Michaels or Hobby Lobby for the Sharpie Poster Paints that are water-soluble. Hope you find:D
@Janet- :D thanks
@Boo- Thanks...Marvy's are cool but I need a permanent pen.
@Leah- Thanks for instigating this post :D

LesleeP said...

Thank you for this, and for sharing your secrets. How about paper suggestions?

Eden said...

@Leslee- the paper I use is Watercolor paper b/c it's thicker....but a post about paper may be beneficical to others- Thanks for the suggestion :D

Marilyn Harris Mills aka Maer said...

what do you use for a opaque white? I've tried Uniball and Sharpie Poster paint but they both blob on me

Eden said...

@Marilyn, I love the Sharpie Poster Paints White for that opaque look. The water based one, which means be careful if you plan on doing any watercoloring afterwards! Good luck :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden