October 24, 2012

In Watercolor….Figure 1



Remember when…..I said I’d really like to learn watercolor drawing/painting?  I have a 36 watercolor pencil set that was just begging to be used.  My Art teacher thought I should give watercolor a try….see what I think….One advantage is it’s easier to cover large areas…it’s ten times faster than colored pencils.  We thought it would be an interesting study to do the same figure set in watercolor.  See the difference and if I even take to it.

Blocked all 3 figures out in class a few weeks ago. 



Then the next class time, I started in on the arms.  Didn’t dare try it on my own, had too many questions!

 

So far…I’ve approached the drawing in the same way as my color-sketches, except I stop and apply water to the pigment before I proceed to the next part. 



The watercolor pigment behaves a bit unpredictably (especially to me-the-novice)…which can make things better or worse. 



I was coaxed into abandoning my tedious ways by applying lots of water and lots of pigment….and just let the color expand. 



We use rubber cement to limit where the color can go (seen here in the lighter part of the jeans). it’s a whole new way of drawing and I can’t approach it the same way as a pure sketch.  It’s very addictive and I think I like it!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden