August 15, 2011

A sketch of a Person on a Paddleboard….fini



Since we were a day without power, and I’m a person without much sleep, please excuse the run-on sentences that are bound to occur.



I used my new copic gray multiliners to outline just about everything.  But not the folds in the suit.  That would’ve been too much!



Didn’t have the patience for the effort it would take to get those toes right.  But at least they’re not as bad as they were from this post.

PaddleBoard19

Public Criticism:
  1. Didn’t bend the upper body over enough. (and to think I brought it in from the first post)
  2. Right hand drawn higher than original
  3. Left arm should’ve been longer in the forearm and less long in the bicep
  4. Entire sketched body (legs, torso and head) thicker than needed
  5. Arms longer and leaner than they should be
Public Credits:
  1. Was able to draw a look-alike (to some degree) of the entire body + a bit of the face
  2. Shading was not so dark as diver girl (using the tortillon worked well)
  3. Hair passable
  4. 2 legs, 2 arms, 10 fingers, 10 toes….
  5. Not discouraged yet
These type of sketches are just plain fun to draw.  They don’t take F.O.R.E.V.E.R and I get good sketch practice in.   Thanks for your kind comments about the process these last few days.

8 comments:

deb said...

I think this turned out great! And it went quick too. This one didn't seem to take you as long. I can see all the points credits and criticisms you made. But your ability amazes me! Great job!

Terri Kahrs said...

Frankly, I chalk up the "differences" to "Artistic License"! It's a superb drawing!!! Hugs, Terri

Unknown said...

Eden, it looks amazing to me! You inspire me so very much!!

aimee said...

this turned out great, eden!

Eden said...

@Deb...@Terri....@Chel....@Aimee...
T.H.A.N.K.....Y.O.U.

Your kind comments mean so much and keep me encouraged :D

young-eclectic-encounters said...

Thanks so much for sharing your process- sometimes I get discouraged as I start a project as it never seems right to me and I end up erasing and shading alot to make up for what seems like inacuracy to me but most of the time I end up with a sketch that I am pleased with if I stick with it. Kudos to you for sticking with it although I did not see your mistakes as clearly as you did, sometimes I think we can all become far to critical of our own work, but not see the errors in others work or even praise others artwork that has the same errors as ours. I think your sketch is wonderful
Johnina :D
PS as a tip for an earlier post you showed a picture of a dark tip on your blending stick; I use a sandpaper sponge to rub my blender on. It works wonders for cleaning and reshaping the tip of your blending stick

Serena Lewis said...

Eden, I think you've done a fantastic job! Criticisms noted BUT you did come extremely close to that of the original. To draw free-hand and achieve this is exceptional! In saying that, I feel that it's important not to have an exact replica of the original any way....artistic license or simply your take on what you see. Lovely work!

Eden said...

Thanks for your nice comments!! It's amazing how the contour can seem so spot-on and then I see that I'm just a wee bit off in either the thin direction or the thick direction. Ah well....I'll just keep trying!

@Johnina- I love your tip about the sandpaper, I cant wait to try that out! Who'd have thought...sandpaper!! :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden