April 22, 2012
I showed up to my Art Class with my meager set of 12 colored pencils. Then the instructor took out her classroom stock of pencils. She really liked these Woodless Colour Pencils……so I tried them.
I was told that drawing with colored pencils is all about layering different colors. One on top of the other. She said put down a base color softly, then go in and start adding colors.
I used pinks, purples, blues, oranges and reds. To shade in colored pencil work we have to work according to the color wheel. Opposites on the color wheel make gray. I’m not supposed to go grab a gray, I’m supposed to use opposing colors…Otherwise, like with painting…I’d muddy it all up! Joy!
I said to my teacher…. “so I just have to be real sloppy with my drawings until I start to see the different colors”…she said…”you may want to sketch a lemon”….I thought, “if you make me sketch lemons, you’ve lost me and I won’t sketch anything at all”….
It took me a little while to work thru my growing pains….I was tentative, light with my colors…..then I started to see what they were talking about with overlaying different colors on top of one another to bring in light and shape…..It was getting fun!! Hey, when you get to work with color how can that not be fun?
That right knee is still kind of wonky….Have to play around with it in a sideways view, I think.
- ► 2013 (75)
- Growing Pains….Stalling
- Growing Pains….Subsiding
- Growing Pains….in the legs
- Growing Pains….colored pencils
- Vitruvian Man….Modified
- Vitruvian Man….materializes
- Vitruvian Man…manifests
- Inspiration Outing
- Stopping and Asking for Directions….
- Left vs. Right
- I Dance because….
- Who Does Your Hair?
- Balancing Botanicals
- ▼ April (13)
- ► 2011 (123)
- ► 2010 (134)
- ► 2009 (65)
- ► 2008 (29)
- By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden