June 1, 2012

Inward Dive….Drawn

Diver3e


Here is the image that I color-sketched.  I think this is the Allison Brennan a US National Diver. 





Thankfully my Art instructor was “all better” and she was in class today.  Had to pick her brain about a thing or two!  Haha





I think sketching hair with colored pencils is easier than with graphite.  The colors do amazing things….Some colors when applied if they are “opposite” on the color wheel bring in shading.  But I can go in and add some lighter highlights by working the lighter variety (to some extent). Unfortunately, once I go into the untouched paper with color I could lose that really nice highlight if I’m not careful.





As is my habit, I didn’t model the picture too much for the hair.  Just applied lots of line-waves to show movement of the ponytail portion. 


Talk about layering color!  I used Red, Green, Blue, Brown, Pink, Orange, Dark Pink, Salmon, Tan,…..I could keep going, but you get the picture.  Lots and lots of different colors up there….who’d have thought?





Sometimes you just gotta call “uncle” and be done with it.  I know to others this isn’t done…but I’m not that good and I’m still limited on what I can see and duplicate.


Dive21


What a fun piece to sketch!  This final shot appears to have lost that line to show the back of the leg.  But you can see it better in the early photos.


Now, I think I’ll go play with my markers!!

6 comments:

Jp said...

When you sketch, do you prefer body sketch to faces? do you also like to sketch still life? What kind of sketching could you do for money?

jinxxxygirl said...

I think you did a marvelous job!! You never fail to amaze me.The same colored pencils that i color my doodles with you can sketch something like this! Great job!! Hugs! deb

Eden said...

Thanks so much guys!! I think I'm better at figure sketching...but I think that portrait sketching has the ability to bring in more capital!

Unknown said...

Eden, I am constantly amazed at your talent. I love seeing new posts pop up from you in my RSS reader!

Anonymous said...

Eden - You are fabulous with colored pencils! REALLY enjoy your blog & posts!
Thanks for sharing with all of us.
Grandma Nancy Sapp

Eden said...

Thanks Unknown and Nancy for your very kind comments :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden