March 18, 2011

A sketch…. En pointe



The blank page…..we all have ‘em and we all have to deal with ‘em.  But I think of it more as a “clean slate”, a chance to try again, to mend my ways, to re-do, to learn from my mistakes.  It's also like a free pass, a bonus, benny, a do-over, those kinds of things.



Since I can always use some sketch practice, I went off to find something interesting to sketch.  I stumbled upon this ballet picture on line.  Simple enough, 2 legs, a couple knees and two toe shoes. 



But the real challenge is making them look real, bringing this two-dimensional image into a three-dimensional image.  I’m trying to see the shading in blocks or sections and work from there.



Back in my “flash dance” days, I had a huge crush on Mikhail Baryshnikov.  Wow!!  This guy could DANCE!  I appreciate the grace in which he performed, but I’m not a huge fan of men in tights.  If I were, I’d be drawing that instead!  LOL!



I’m growing quite attached to these little Stumps (or Tortillions).  If you sketch at all, I highly recommend them, you will not believe how much control these give you as you shade in your areas.



I would’ve preferred to have this all completed by now and not do a two part post…but I think these pointe shoes are gonna take me a week to complete!!  But then again, maybe not.  I’ll need to revisit my Tutu post to remember the tricks I used there.

10 comments:

Deidra said...

I love ballet, so I truly appreciate this choice. And I'm in awe of your talent. I mean, really. This is just so good! How long did this take you?

Rebecca Anthony said...

I love ballet too, I took classical ballet for 18 years. This sketch is amazing!

Whitney said...

WOW! That completely came to life! I love it! The legs are a little more muscular or bigger in your picture, but of course, I like that since I have those kind of legs! Beautiful Eden, really remarkable!
Whit

Janet said...

Well done! You definitely don't have to worry about filling up a blank page. Love the perspective of this drawing....just the legs and feet.

PS - I also had a crush on Mikhail Baryshnikov.

Kate Robertson said...

You have to be the one person on the net that I follow who has shading down to an art. What beautiful work.

Serena Lewis said...

Your drawing is looking fantastic, Eden! Great shading!

Eden said...

Thanks guys for all your NiCe, nIcE comments! Grinning here....

@Deidre- I think it took me a couple days to get this far....sketching a couple hours each day. Thanks for asking :D

Unknown said...

Amazing! Your drawings look more and more like photos to me, the REALLY good photos with the right shading and light.

(I have to say that would love to see what you might do with an anatomy book to copy from!)

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

I love your ballet sketches. You've captured both the grace and the muscularity of this dancer's legs beautifully, Eden.

ArtfulLee Designed said...

I love your drawing so far Eden, and they are so realistic, you have done a great job. I can't wait to see it finished
Lee:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden