March 21, 2011

Dancing in Pointe shoes

DancerStance_bw
                                               * Image from HERE

Made the image black and white because it’s easier to see where to shade that way.

en pointe9

Then I started on the shoes.  Lots of texture and folds in the slippers and the foot.

en pointe15

I love to see the progression of a picture….all lined up… neatly in a row.



 If I did not have a picture to work from I could not sketch….not at all.  Or if I did, it would lack a lot of detail.  They say if you can sketch from life, then you are bringing your perceptions of the subject onto the picture.  It would be stamped with a bit of their personality as witnessed by the artist.  All I know is…. there’s no way I’d even consider asking a ballerina to hold this stance for 4 days! LOL!!

en pointe17

I think I’ve done it again:  I made the left leg skinnier.  This is why figures are so much easier to draw.  Because I can get away with these imperfections.  Faces can’t handle too much change to remain intact enough to look like the person.  A millimeter here and there adds up to a lot on a face.

Ok….it’s time for some color and some doodling!

7 comments:

melydia said...

Another lovely drawing. What do you do with these when you're done? I bet you could sell prints of this one. (I don't know about copyright issues - is a drawing of a photo fair game?)

Lisa said...

awesome!!!

Janet said...

Well done!! I'd also like to know what you do with your finished drawings. You must get such pleasure from going back and looking at them all.

Serena Lewis said...

Spectacular finish, Eden!

Rebecca Anthony said...

Fantastic work Eden and so gorgeous!! Love the progression all lined up in a row!!!!

Eden said...

Thanks guys!!

I have framed a few of these sketches, and some just stay in the sketchbook.

Sometimes when I go back and look at them, I can see things better, where I could've made a change. It is fun, but I have to put away the eraser :D :D

ArtfulLee Designed said...

Beautiful work Eden. I so wish I could draw like this. Thanks for showing us the stages of the drawing.
Lee:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden