March 20, 2012

Figuring out Flat Faces…



Yes, the whole trick to sketching is figuring out how to make the 3D figure flat (2D)…That’s the crux of the matter….  That’s it in a nutshell….That’s really all we have to do!!….haha

Amanda11

Yea…Yea….I know…you’re all tired of hearing me belly-ache about how hard faces are…but THEY are!! And if I’m to go forward with this sketching it’s time I took up the challenge…..(why must I always be challenging myself?)

  1. Obviously a pretty poor rendition of this lovely young ladies face…but my faces always start out a little scarry!
  2. Erased it all away…and redrew that mouth.
  3. Turned the image upside down, and tried again in that contour way.
  4. Still trying
  5. Right eye too low, adjusted up.  Nose too long, shortened.
  6. Mouth a little small, enlarged
  7. Face narrowed a little and minor markings applied
Amanda12


WOW!…now I can see so much!  I can see the errors, the flaws, the work I have left to do!

If I didn’t frequent my blog too, I wouldn’t be showing this….but I need to get familiar with the two images side by side.  The eyes are too open…the nose still too long… the lips too full!  It’s like you guys are the teacher, and I’m the student! 

Thanks again Smile

4 comments:

Jp said...

My eyes must be failing me because I am blown away by how wonderful your sketch has been done.

jinxxxygirl said...

You may be pointing out all the flaws but i'm not seeing them. :) I think you captured her expression perfectly at this point. There may be little minute details you may not like but the face as a whole is well done! What am i trying to say? I think you've captured the emotion.
Hugs! deb

Artoholic said...

I think the "essence" of a portrait is sometimes more important than photo-realism. I think you've done very well here!

Cheers,

Cindy

Eden said...

You have no idea what your comments mean to me...I really wish I could draw more "photo realistic". Possibly no matter what, I will always portray what I see in the picture thru my own filter and draw my own way .

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden