February 23, 2010

What I need to be creative….2 of 3

What I need to be creative.  Or just Create!!!

Yesterday, I mentioned that I needed:

  1. Food
  2. Visual Stimuli

Today, there’s more….. image

3.  EQUIPMENT

My favorite items are watercolor paper, good pens (like Faber-castell, Microns, Sharpies fine, Bic Mark its, Gelly rolls) and small brushes.  I’m  a stocker-upper!!

When I get those Hobby Lobby, JoAnne’s or Michael’s coupons, I immediately get a good pen if my back up  black XS pen has been put into use.  I can get pretty overwhelmed when I go into these stores, so I usually shop best when I know why I’m there.  Just by walking in the door of some art stores is enough to get my head swirling with things I want to try or buy.  Think Artist’s Date and you don’t even have to spend a penny.   A good benny about frequenting these stores is, I may come across a new product or a big clearance sale.  It’s also a good way to keep track of the trends that are coming out.

 4.  PLACE

First of all I’ve got to be comfortable, have decent light and I tend to spread out a bit.  I have this really cool "studio"  at home (where Phyllis the Phlamingo lives), but that’s not where you’ll find me doodling.  You may find me sewing  there, but not doodling. 

image

My favorite place to doodle at home is right on my computer desk.  I just move the wireless keyboard to the floor, clear my spot and off I go.  I’ll usually have on my wireless headphones and listen to music or Dennis Prager.

image

Another great place for inspiration is Quilt stores.  All that luscious fabric in those amazing colors.  Batik’s, diamonds, florals, stripes, Oh My!!    Museums are a special treat, especially children’s museums.   I like the fun, funky and colorful stuff you can find at Children’s museums.  Art Boutiques are always good fodder for inspiration too.

What about you?  Where do you physically go to get inspired?

5. TRAVEL

IMG_BeachFlipflop

Nothing’s quite like a change of scenery or a twist in my routine to get me thinking differently.  I haven’t traveled much for sight-seeing reasons these days.  Mostly it’s to visit family (spread out in 5 states) or attend swim meets.

Our Annual Beach Vacation to Florida always gets me excited to create something new.  Or try something new.  Combination of the beach colors and sails, suits and outerwear.  Being in the water and on the water.  And not having to be anywhere at anytime, I get to be quite lazy actually !

Hey, I’m going to Nashville next week, does anybody have any suggestions for a casual Artist’s date there?  Any good artsy-shops?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden