August 19, 2012

Candid….Customized



I was stuck for a week on this person’s shirt print.

Jes10

Received a bit of direction and started on the pattern in the easiest way I knew to portray.  Yes…Yes… the picture shows more blue…but there is a bit of green in there so I’m not totally making this up.

Jes11

Something did not seem right with his eyes as seen in the image on the left.  After I gave the eyebrows more brow….the eyes more shading, and shaded more around the lower jaws…it was starting to look more like the picture.



I’m not ready to frame this yet.  I still need to elongate that face.  I’m having a bit of trouble with the paper.  It’s being a bit per-snickety and not taking the color like I want. May have to see about those ink-tense pencils before I can wrap this up.  I’ve heard they carry more pigment than wax.  Just may be what I’m looking for.  We can only hope!! Haha


Has anyone tried the ink-tense pencils?

6 comments:

JP said...

This is really good

jinxxxygirl said...

So glad to see you get back to this! Its really looking good...i like the green.

Eden said...

@JP and Deb- thanks! I think the green is working, balancing out the reddish tones in the face :D

Stephanie said...

Just be careful with the Inktense. If you add water to them their color becomes very intense. I don't use them for my colored pencil drawings, only for my art journal.

I've heard that the Caran D'Ache Pablo pencils are superb. They are waxed based but have the characteristics of an oil based colored pencil. They are supposedly very creamy and can take many layers. I haven't tried them yet myself.

Stephanie said...

Oh, another thought about the paper. You can try spraying it with Workable Fixative to gain back some tooth. Another trick for subtle blending is to use Gamsol Odorless Mineral Spirits. Once you use the Gamsol though, you will definitely need to spray the workable fixative on top if you want to add more layers. I tend to only use the OMS at the very end.

Eden said...

@Stephanie- Thanks so much for your tips!! I haven't tried any sprays, sounds like they would be exactly what I need. Heard about the mineral spirits a few days ago. Seems like a good combination with the colored pencils!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden