February 25, 2015

Makeover….Master Bathroom

Mas1

You know how you buy a house….paint the rooms and decorate it to your liking?  Then you go about your life….You’re busy raising your kids, working and just doing stuff.  Then one day, you stop and look around and everything seems run-down?  So, with that being said…please don’t judge me.

I forgot to get “before” shots of this makeover and did the best I could after we started. 




I painted this bathroom back in ‘04.  I made 8” stripes on the wall in the exact same color but different sheens.  If you look closely you can see the sheen of the satin paint next to the flatter eggshell sheen.



Mas6

Step 1…..We removed the HUGE 7ft by 4 ft. mirror (without breaking). Not an easy task but we did it.  Above are the remnants of the Black Mirror Glue that I hear is the best mirror adhesive.



We removed all the glue spots and patched them up.



Bought 2 matching decent sized mirror from Kirklands….on sale (cha-ching).  Glued them to the wall, with a waterproof adhesive for mirrors.



Then onto this wasted space under the vanity. For the record… I’ve never sat in a chair to apply make-up here….ever….It just became a dumping ground.   (Sorry about picture quality)

Mas10

We removed the quarter round along the baseboard under the entire vanity.  We matched the baseboard for this section and put new quarter round in. 



We made a lower shelf and a second shelf above.  Now this space is good for something.


Mas12

With the mirrors installed….the brass lights replaced with a bronze antique fixture to match the frames.  All the other fixtures (faucets, light switch plates, towel rods, etc.) were replaced with nickel fixtures.

Mas13

The area between the two mirrors was a bit sparse…so we added a small cabinet.  This one had no crown molding at the top or fascia on the bottom, so we added that after install.



While painting the walls, it’s very easy to get the wall paint onto the ceiling.



Instead of touching up the ceiling…we just added crown molding to the entire bathroom interior.  Towel racks were replaced by hooks.



Baskets placed into the lower portion of the prior bench area under the vanity.  Shoes on the upper shelf for easy access.

Mas29_

New rug from amazon.

Mas30

Now, if I can just keep my junk contained to the little plate under the cabinet…I’ll be happy.



View 2

Mas32

View 3

All of this cost us less than $750. 
  • 2 mirrors    (Kirklands)                                    $60
  • 2 overhead light fixtures (Lowes)                    $100
  • 6 glass domes for each bulb (3 each/ light)   $50
  • Cabinet between mirrors  (Home Depot)          $60
  • 5 hooks for towels (Home Depot)                    $30
  • 1 24” towel rack  (Lowes)                               $20
  • 2 faucets   (Home Depot)                                  $140
  • 2 light plates   (Home Depot)                            $12 
  • 2 outlet plates    (Home Depot)                         $10
  • 2 lg towels + 1 hand towel  (Bed,Bath Beyond)  $30
  • shelf wood (Lowes)                                         $25
  • Crown molding (Lowes)                                 $30
  • paint    (Lowes)                                               $50
  • Rug (Amazon)                                                 $50
  • Baskets (TJ Maxx)                                           $35
  • Misc.(soap dish, vanity plate, etc)               $80
  •                                            TOTAL           $ 782

3 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

Wow Eden you did an awesome job! And kept the price down!!! Woohoo!!! Love the mirrors and the new lights and what an awesome way to transform that useless space down below...

I have to say i do not care for the cabinet between the mirrors... I would have hung something decorative there. Nor do i care for the metallic light and plug plates.... LOVE the idea of hooks rather than a towel bar.... Looking forward to sprucing up my new home. :) Hugs! deb

Victoria Gwen said...

Great job Eden - Love your splashes of colour ;-)

Gwen in Victoria, BC

Janet said...

Your re-do turned out great. Love that re-purposing of the make-up seating area. Did you ever know anyone who sat down to apply make-up??!!

This is exactly what I need to do in our master bath. I've just started to notice that tired, un-loved look around our house. Lots to do!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden