June 29, 2015

Beach Week in Watercolor

IMG_20150627_175140

Two weeks ago something clicked for me.  I wanted to sketch “on site”….”live”….”en plein air”.  So, I have gotten reacquainted with my little Koi watercolor travel set.

PA1

I knew I had to start somewhere, and it had to be colorful.  So I grabbed this crystal vase and put some colorful rocks in it and started to draw.  In watercolor…..I need to be looser / freer in my drawing. 

PA2

I’m trying to not bring out my pencil first….and start applying the watercolor directly onto the paper.  I have a tendency to be too exact!! …. and it’s a bit irritating!!

PA3

Did this one on break at work….about 20 minutes.

PA4

This one took a little longer, size is bigger and more details.

PA5

These ladies didn’t even know I was there (at Starbucks)…..I’m not too self-conscious so I can blend into the background rather easy.

PA6

I am notorious for falling asleep while driving….but this kept me occupied for a bit.  That road vibration doesn’t effect the watercolor application, but it does effect the .005 micro pen outlining at the end.

PA7

Another quick sketch done on the first day of vacation.  These don’t require a lot of thought or time.  30-45 minutes to lay down foundation then if I’m enjoying the sketch I’ll add more detail for another 20 min or so.

PA8

I had no binoculars so I had to guess on some of the house and deck features of these homes across the bay.

PA9

I liked this kitchen cabinet….so I drew it.  Perspective is all relative here!! Haha

PA10

Lots going on in this room.

PA11

Watching TV.

PA12

About 10 minutes in, I wondered why I bothered attempting this….but I just kept going, cuz there was nothing else I wanted to draw and I’m learning to quiet that internal critic.

PA13

Back to my favorite subject…people.  Goofed up the mouth on the far girl, then applied white out which made it only scarier.  Need to learn, less is more.

Brought three Danny Gregory books with me.  They will get you excited to try this type of art.
PA14

She said she’d pose for me!  What a treat!  Helps to see things better.

PA15

He kept changing positions on me. 

PA16

Another perspective bust…but oh well!

PA17

Had to do something to keep the boredom at bay during our drive home….does not look like my husband but it does look like a man!!

PA18

And just for the fun of it….A selfie!!   Again….doesn’t look like me but that’s not the point.  The point is….I’ve...Got….To….Practice, wish me luck Smile

7 comments:

Janet said...

These are all good...I especially like the houses across the water. Beautiful!!

Emie58 said...

I've been following you for what seems to be 4 ever... (and I have your doodle cards)... but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this new style!!! My favorite is the ladies at Starbucks but all of them are just so charming!!! They just seem spontaneous and freeing... light and airy. And.... so much FUN!!!

labolixlanda said...

All your work is wonderful, I love the castles with the shells.
Something that caught my attention are a lot of brushes, I never saw them equal, where can I get? They are very beautiful
Thank You

Anonymous said...

OMGOSH!!! I LOVE them ALL!! U did a fantastic job on all of them!! My husband, Rich would throw a fit if I painted people or objects at a public place. I take my watercolors with me & he says "Put those AWAY!" He's a Control Freak & I think he thinks people will stare. So what if they do!

More about your paintings! Love em. SUCH detail & in such a short amount of time. I spend FAR too much time on each detail. Then I get discouraged.

Thanks so much for sharing!
Grandma Nancy in central IL

Eden said...

@jkbees- Janet you are the best.....Thank You
@Emie58-Speechless here and I like those Starbucks girls too :) thanks so much !!!
@labolixlandi- thank you and I'm not sure what you are asking...can you rephrase the question?
@Nancy - thanks so much and I hope you bring out those watercolors when he's not around, I tend to go off by myself and draw. I have looked at other visual journals and it's funny that they don't always spotlight all the details in a picture but will focus more on some aspect and detail like crazy there. Possibly they have made room for it on the page! Good luck and do it, express yourself :)

Giggles said...

These are all fabulous...you are so talented... Love the you shared all of them!!

Hugs Giggles

Eden said...

Hi @giggles and thank You... I am surprised at how much fun these are to do

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden