January 11, 2011

List It Tuesday…….Biographies

image

I’m using this drawing today because #1- you haven’t seen it yet……#2- It fits with the Biography theme since most biography covers have a face or a head on them.

I drew this last year from a picture of a quilt in the Master's Art Quilts book.  The book is just loaded with visual cloth delights…..seriously!  I wasn’t that happy with this drawing, so I shelved it.  Sure wish I had a pic of the quilt that inspired it, but I don’t. 

And here’s my list of Biographies that I’ve read recently (well, within the last 10 yrs)  for List-It-Tuesday:

image

I love BIOGRAPHIES!!!  Love them!!  If I had my choice between two books about the same person, I would pick the Auto-biography over the Biography each and every time!  Why?  Because I want to hear what “they” say about their lives…not what someone else says about them.  The really interesting stuff is in the details….always in the details.
    1. Open- an auto-biography about Andre Agassi’s tennis training and life from a young child through to  retirement
    2. Steffi Graf
    3. Ronald Reagan
    4. Harry S Truman
    5. Dwight D Eisenhower
    6. Benjamin Franklin
    7. Bo Jackson- professional baseball and football player
    8. The Big Picture- auto-biography about Ben Carson,  a pediatric neurosurgeon who performed a successful operation that separated two twins born joined at their heads
    9. Crashing Through- about Mike May, a highly successful entrepreneur, athlete, husband and father who undergoes experimental surgery to regain the vision that he lost in a chemical explosion at age three.
    10. What’s Your Excuse- auto-biography about John Foppe, born without arms, has faced obstacles-both physical and emotional-his entire life. While some see his condition as a debilitating handicap, John disagrees. "Our only handicaps are those mental and emotional ones that prevent us from participating fully in life
    11. Black Like Me- auto-biography about  John Howard Griffin , a white man, who ran a social experiment.  He altered his appearance thru makeup and a drug that would darken his skin’s pigment to help him look like a colored man in 1959. This story is about how he was treated and his thoughts during those 6 weeks. 
I’m just as interested in the not-so Famous as I am in the Famous people…..but I must confess….I’m not all that interested in celebrities.  I just noticed I’ve only read one book about a woman!  Yikes!  Wait....I forgot, I read about Jackie Kennedy Onassis (Jackie O), I wanted to know what the big deal was about her.  Next, I'd like to read about Martha Graham, a dancer, choreographer and teacher for more than 70 years. That would be a good read.

Anyone else into Biographies????  I’d love to hear your suggestions.

8 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

Nope , sorry i read fantasy books. Although i have seen some biographies that look interesting. I think i would like the autobiography ones best too. Love your drawing!

aimee said...

believe it or not, one of my favorites was one i read back in the 80s by estee lauder!

Anonymous said...

I be liking 'dis post !!!

and isn't the iPad a wonderful thing! I know I love mine!

have a good one!

ciao bella
Creative Carmelina

storybeader said...

Have you read "House at Sugar Beach" by Helene Cooper? That was a great autobio. And Wolf Hall (about Thomas Cromwell) My book club reads books by and/or about women, and has come up w/ some great titles. {:-D

Karen M said...

How about Madaleine Albright's Madam Secretary? That was a good one.

cath c said...

gorgeous art!

i love biographies and autbiograpies, too! my recent favorite is sidney poitier's 'measure of man' - i highly recommend it. it's about much more than celebrity.

Eden said...

Thanks so much for the Biography suggestions!! I'm going to make a note of them all!! Word of mouth is the best way to get recommendations!!

S.E.Minegar said...

lovely cover. i enjoyed American Prometheus: J. Robert Oppenheimer. it's mega long, but interesting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden