September 28, 2010

Facing Forward…..on a bicycle

image

When Tammy drew that adorable bicycle sketch she inspired me to draw a bicycle myself.  Since she planted the seed, all I had to do was find a decent bicycle picture.   When I spotted this picture on Flickr…..I thought….Hmmmm, maybe I can draw this.  I like the bike, I like the girl and of course….yeah…..I like the beach!  So, off I went to draw this.  I made a total mess out of it!  First, I drew the bike too long, had to shorten it, then I drew the girl too small, had to enlarged her.  Then I decided…..it’s time to put away the graphite.  I needed a bit of color & doodle relief, because my confidence level was waning. 

image

Being one to favor the full color spectrum, I thought it would be fun to bring those rainbow colors into the wheel spokes. 

image

It was really hard NOT TO BRING OUT the stencils for the flowers!  I thought I’d wing the flower shapes, that it may add more interest.

image 

Nothing like a little Zentangle background to make the colors more striking.

image

 Just a little close-up of the change in the flower design on the person.


SONY DSC

Here’s a perfect example of changing your mind after starting a drawing!  It’s either work with what I’m comfortable with or just keep on erasing!  Some days I’m better at pushing past my comfort level.   As you can see, this wasn’t one of them.

12 comments:

Jeanne Nelson said...

What a striking spread ~~ absolutely grabs my attention, Eden! Your free-form flowers are beautiful; love all the tangles within them. Glad you kept pushing on with this one ~~ what a great piece!

JP said...

Your brain is just amazing.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this..that background could not have been more interesting..I think it was the most perfect choice! well done....I am inspired to get my pens out...and draw in my art journal!

thanks so much for coming by to see me...

come again today for TAG TUESDAY. - You never know, you could be ""IT""

ciao bella!

CREATIVE CARMELINA

Kate Robertson said...

I love this too! Your art always makes me smile!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous, happy drawing!I've only just found your Blog.I'm glad I did.

Dawn said...

sigh. i love your drawings!! I think the girl on the bicycle is GOOD. It amazes me how hard it can be to draw things and get it correctly, like angles and perspective. i spent two and a half hours last night trying to draw a Yoda Lego figure!

Can you please do a segment on how you come up with all your awesome doodles?!

Eden said...

Thanks for all the nice comments, Ladies!!

@Judy, so glad you stopped by and said "Hi"
@Dawn, I'd love to do a doodle design segment...hmmmm. Thanks for the idea :D

Stephanie ;) said...

I love your blog! Your drawings are inspirational, just what I need. I love drawing henna-inspired prints too! :)

Liberty said...

Eden this piece is so wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!
I love that you went with your flow even if it strayed from 'plans'.
I LOVE the result! I adore the rainbow wheels of course, being a rainbow lover, and I also really like how the colour of the lines changes as it passes over the person! very cool :)
p.s. I'm so glad you didn't use a stencil! I love the results, very organic.

rachel awes said...

eden, oh how i adore this!
it's how i feeeeeel when i ride mine!!
(it's green w/a green basket
& i named her "may")!
loooooove to you, dear one!
xoxox

Carrie @carrieloves said...

Hi Eden, your bicycle is so beautiful! I had never heard of a "zentangle" before & I love how the colors in yours, depending on what they are overlapping, change. Very creative & wonderful.

Michelle said...

This is incredible! You did a wonderful job :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden